My Guide Website?
Queenstown: Half-Day 4WD Lord Of the Rings Discovery Tour106 Reviews
Discover the spectacular locations of Middle Earth on a 4WD discovery tour from Queenstown. Visit all "Lord of the Rings" locations in Queenstown and Arrowtown on a small group, expertly-guided half-day tour that includes gold panning and afternoon tea.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Queenstown:If youʻre booking your trip to Queenstown last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- See spectacular locations where scenes from 'The Lord Of the Rings' were filmed
- Recognise sights from the famous trilogy and your guide will provide insights into the stories behind the scenes
- Travel the Skippers Canyon Road to Lighthouse Rock and marvel at spectacular views over the Wakatipu Basin
- Experience a true off-road adventure near Arrowtown as you follow a historic gold mining road
DescriptionEmbark on an adventure safari packed with breathtaking scenery, thrilling 4WD action, and LOTR filming locations. Visit the filming locations of Minas Tirith, Misty Mountains, the Pillars of the Kings (Argonath), Gladden Fields, the Ford of Bruinen, and more. After pick-up from your hotel, journey around the Wakatipu Basin to see The Remarkables, which were used as various mountains throughout the three movies. Travel part way up Queenstown Hill for a bird's-eye view onto Deer Park Heights, which was used for the refugees of Rohan and the Battle of the Wargs scenes. From the viewpoint, head to Kawarau Gorge where the filming took place for the Argonath - 'Pillars of the Kings'. After Kawarau Gorge, travel to Arrowtown where the loss of The One Ring scene at Gladden Fields was shot. Near Arrowtown, you will experience a true off-road adventure. Following a historic gold mining road up the Arrow River, cross the river many times to get to the Ford of Bruinen. Here you can indulge in a refreshing afternoon tea and try your hand at a spot of gold panning. From Arrowtown, travel to the entrance of Skippers Canyon for spectacular panoramic views of the Wakatipu Basin and into the Canyon.
IncludesPick-up and drop off from town center or central Queenstown accommodation Transport in 6-seater 4WD Land Rover or Land Cruiser Experienced local driver-guide Informative and engaging commentary in English Gold panning experience Hot drinks, biscuits, and cake
- Operates in all weather conditions - please dress appropriately for the weather on the day
- Not a lot of walking is required and you have the option of staying in or near the vehicle if you wish at any of the stops
- The activity requires a minimum of 2 participants with paying adult rates to operate (and a minimum of 4 on New Zealand public holidays). There is a possibility of cancelation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet the requirements. In such an event, you will be offered an alternative or a full refund
- Informative and engaging commentary in English and gold panning experience are included in the ticket price