My Guide Website?
Milford Sound & Big 5 Glaciers Scenic Flight from Queenstown5 Reviews
Enjoy a 1-hour scenic flight of Milford Sound, beginning and ending in Queenstown. Take in stunning views of at least 5 local glaciers, the Southern Alps, and Milford Sound itself.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Queenstown:If youʻre booking your trip to Queenstown last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- See fantastic aerial views of glaciers, waterfalls and the majestic Milford Sound
- Enjoy wonderful unobstructed views of the scenery from the 'high-wing' aircraft
- Capture a sunrise on a majestic array of glaciers and of the Southern Alps
- Beat the crowds and return to Queenstown in time for a full day of activities
DescriptionDiscover some of Mount Aspiring, Fiordland National Parks largest glaciers, and Milford Sound itself on a scenic flight. Each tour is guaranteed to see at least five major glaciers. These glaciers are kiwi secrets that have been reserved to advanced mountaineers or a select few tourists traveling by air from Wanaka. Begin with complimentary pick-up around 7:15 AM from your central Queenstown accommodation. After check-in completion, your pilot will give a thorough pre-flight briefing on the route and scenic highlights likely to be encountered. Depart Queenstown airport at 8:00 AM, the flight path tracks north up the world famous Shotover Canyon, passing Lake Lochnagar to Mount Aspiring. New Zealand has 7 glaciers that span greater than 10 hectares, and Volta Glacier, the only one in the Southern Lakes, happens to reside on the northern side of Mount Aspiring. Turn west toward Milford Sound to be mesmerized flying down glacier alley, the Olivine Ice Plateau, a unique glacial amphitheater. Further west toward Milford Sound, fly over Mount Tutoko and the Donne and Age Glaciers, before capturing the Fiord of Milford before the return flight back to Queenstown. Enjoy a complimentary return shuttle to your hotel to conclude your experience around 9:30 AM.
IncludesHotel pick-up & drop off from selected central Queenstown accommodation Full pre-flight briefing 1-hour scenic flight Full in-flight English commentary from your pilot Views of at least 5 Glaciers and Milford Sound
- Because of the weather-dependent nature of flying in the Southern Alps to Milford Sound, it is recommended that you book in for your first available day in Queenstown. That way, should the weather be unfavorable for flying on the first day, you will have maximum flexibility to roll your excursion onto a following fine weather day Keep in mind that a minimum number of passengers is required to confirm a flight